Wednesday 15 October 2014

The radio's gone off the air, gives you time to think

I met up with an old friend the other week and whilst having an enjoyable lunch at the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal, he suddenly turned to me and said, "I need to punch you in the face". Somewhat stunned I replied, "What?! Why?" It turns out that he was not happy at his inclusion in my concert memories book and wondered why I hadn't mentioned any of the other gigs he and I had been to over the years. 

After thinking about this for a moment I reminded him of a gig we had been to at Platform One at the Caledonian Hotel in Edinburgh many years ago. I think it was Tam White and the Dexters and we had been on a bit of a pub crawl before arriving at the gig. We were both fairly drunk but while I was happy to stay at the back and watch the band, my friend went down the front and tried desperately to get other members of the audience up out of their seats and dance. But they were having none of it and probably wished this pissed punter would, well, piss off. 

So having reminded him of this occasion and another where he distracted a girl I was trying to get off with by headbanging in the front seat of my car while I said goodnight to her, he realised that it might actually have been in his best interest that I had only mentioned him briefly in the first two chapters.

However, this put an idea into my head about revising and expanding the book to include other gigs. I could try and write something about every gig I've been to but some will inevitably be one line entries saying something like, "I have the ticket for this gig so I must have been there but I honestly can't remember a thing about it." But seeing as how my radio career is on hold just now this will give me something to occupy my brain, as Ozzy put it.

Incidentally the title of this post comes from the Tom Waits song 'Diamonds on my Windshield'... 



No comments:

Post a Comment