Monday 2 December 2013

The Folk and Acoustic Music Show 2nd Dec \ Mikie Jacobs




On Thursday morning I sat looking at a folder named '2 December' and it had just one song in it - Rita Hosking's "Nothing Left Of Me". Normally I have my playlist just about finalised by that time but not last week. I had been otherwise occupied, filling in a job application form among other things, so I sat and wondered what I was going to include in this Monday's show.

Then I remembered some news I'd seen on Facebook - the singer of Edinburgh punk band Gin Goblins, Mikie Jacobs, had been found dead in the city's Holyrood Park. He had taken his own life and was the same age as me, 49. I never knew the guy, never saw the Goblins play live but I have been in occasional contact with the band's guitarist, Dave, for a number of years. So I started looking for songs that reflected how I felt about Mikie's death.

Song titles seemed to jump out at me as I moved from folder to folder on my PC and soon I had about a dozen tracks. I don't suppose Mikie listened to much folk music* but maybe he would have liked the Bad Shepherd's cover of The Clash's "London Calling" and the Dick Gaughan cover of Brian McNeill's "No Gods" might have brought a smile to his face. I recorded the show on Thursday, checked it over on Friday and uploaded it to Acoustic Spectrum that same day.

Then on Saturday morning I awoke to the terrible news from Glasgow that a police helicopter had crashed in to a busy pub the night before. Eight people died and many were injured. So this show goes out to all of them and to Mikie.

CB

* In a message from Dave he tells me that Mikie did like folk music and suggested I check out his other band, The Pink Dogs...



Tonight's playlist...

Drever McCusker Woomble - Into The Blue
The High Bar Gang - All My Tears
Miranda Sykes & Rex Preston - Do Not Surrender
Daimh - Stormy Hill
Rita Hosking - Nothing Left Of Me
Karan Casey - Black Is The Colour
Dick Gaughan - No Gods and Precious Few Heroes
Lisa Richards - Painful Game
Paul Anderson - Farewell to St Kilda
Hayseed Dixie - Back in Black
The Bad Shepherds - London Calling
The High Bar Gang - Mother's Only Sleeping
Nancy Kerr & James Fagin - Sweet Peace
Duncan Wood - Close of the Day \ Nancy Gwendoline

The featured album is 'Lost and Undone: A Gospel Bluegrass Companion' by The High Bar Gang released 2nd December.

The Folk & Acoustic Music Show
Mondays at 9pm / Tuesdays at 2am
Listen online at acoustic-spectrum.co.uk
Listen again at mixcloud.com/cmbertram

No comments:

Post a Comment